Recent research indicates resistance training is able to prevent the progression of bone mineral density decline in post menopausal women, even in the absence of hormone replacement. In particular, it has been found to reduce density loss from the lumbar spine and femoral neck.
Something that I’ve always advocated and is crucial for maintaining bone strength to prevent osteoporosis.
PMS is a condition that most women suffer from. It is caused by an imbalance in hormones, predominately, Oestrogen and Progesterone. Naturopathy surpasses all other treatments for this syndrome.
There are 5 categories of PMS- PMS-A, PMS-C, PMS-D, PMS-H and PMS-P.
PMS- A relates to anxiety and is usually associated with a degree of paranoia, irritability and mood swings . It is usually caused by a lack of progesterone and a high level of Oestrogen.
PMS-C relates to cravings. How often do you crave that block of chocolate prior to your periods? This tends to be caused by a deficiency in B6, Magnesium and low blood glucose levels.
PMS-D relates to depression. This can associated with increased tearfulness, flat moods and lack of motivation. Low levels of Oestrogen and Serotonin tend to contribute to this type of PMS.
PMS-H relates to hyper-hydration. This is characterised by breast tenderness/fullness, weight gain, abdominal bloating and fluid retention. It is related to increased levels of aldosterone and subsequently, Oestrogen.
PMS-P, you guessed it, stands for pain and is the most common symptom of PMS. It can be related to lower back pain, headaches, or your general period pain. It is usually caused by an increase in pro-inflammatory cytokines.
General tips to reduce PMS:
- Increase quantity of essential fatty acids in the diet such as fish (salmon and trout), olive oil, flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil
- Increase dietary intake of dandelion leaf, celery and parsley to reduce fluid retention
- Be kind to your liver and avoid alcohol and toxins as much as possible. These substances can prevent the liver from efficiently metabolising potent forms of Oestrogen in the body and as a result, lead to PMS
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants when possible
- Get moving and exercise at least 30 minutes per day. This will assist with lymphatic drainage and reducing fluid retention
1200mg of Chondroitin Sulfate daily, has shown superior efficacy than most commonly prescribed NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory) drug, Celecoxib. This provides encouraging results and displays the beneficial role this nutrient has in reducing pain associated with one of the most debilitating conditions experienced by the elderly.
Reference: Pelletier JP, Raynauld JP, Beaulieu A, et al. In a two year double blind randomised controlled multicentre study, chondroitin sulfate was significantly superior to celecoxib at reducing cartilage loss with similar efficacy at reducing disease symptoms in knee osteoarthritis patients. Arthritis Reheumatol 2015;67 (suppl 10.)